If you are a psychotherapist who never received training in how to write progress notes or treatment plans, you are in good company. But you may not realize how your current note-keeping habits can hurt you — or your clients. Especially with insurance plans more frequently reviewing client charts — even those of out-of-network therapists —this training couldn’t be timelier.
This two-hour course will give you a great overview of how to write progress notes and treatment plans, so that you can feel confident if you ever receive a records request, or if you have to defend yourself in a complaint. In addition, you will learn about health plan documentation requirements, in case you are audited. For all of us, more detailed notes can mean protecting ourselves, as well as helping clients get the treatment they deserve.
The webinar takes no technological know-how or special program — you will be sent a link in an e-mail, and with one easy click you can watch it on your computer at your convenience. The link has no expiration date, so you can refer back to it as needed. A link to the handout and templates discussed will also be provided.
Topics will include:
- Why we don’t keep good notes — and why we need to
- 3 key ingredients to great progress notes
- Examples of good progress notes for individuals and couples therapy
- SOAP and DAP note templates (downloadable and customizable)
- What insurance plans expect in our notes and treatment plans
- The “medical necessity” secret to treatment approvals: Writing notes with this in mind
- Why insurance plans are asking to review our charts more frequently
- 10 situations where you should write more detailed notes
- How to write a 5 minute treatment plan, and examples
- Tips on how to save time writing notes, and how to deal with it when you fall behind
BONUS FOR CALIFORNIA THERAPISTS: 2 CEU credits are available for California BBS Licensees for just $15.00 additional, after taking post-test and passing with 70% score.
PRICE: ONLY $49.95 FOR WEBINAR; ADD $15 FOR 2 CEU HOURS for California MFTs/LCSWs/LPCCs/LEPs
About the Presenter: Barbara Griswold, LMFT, is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist in private practice in San Jose, CA, and author of “Navigating the Insurance Maze: The Therapist’s Complete Guide to Working with Insurance — And Whether You Should” (6th edition). Barbara teaches workshops and provides phone consultations to therapists nationwide about insurance and private practice-building. She invites you to contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AFTER PURCHASE, YOU WILL RECEIVE AN EMAIL INVOICE FROM PAYPAL AND OUR WEBSITE AND A SEPARATE E-MAIL WITH THE WEBINAR LINK (AND CEU TEST LINK, IF PURCHASED). If you do not receive this within 12 hours or have issues viewing the webinar, please contact us at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. We will respond within 1 business day.